Thursday, 29 March 2012

Thursday 29th March 2012
Well, here it is at last. After a week of furious work getting all those "last minute" jobs done it's time to call a halt and cast off.
The last week has been a hectic one. Some of it self made, and some cock ups from other quarters.
I've been doing quite a bit of painting and de-rusting. One of the hinges on our engine hatch broke last year and while I bought the replacement a while ago I've not gotten around to actually carrying out the repair. Finally I got up the go, drive, and ambition to get on with it. First problem, I decided to use 8mm bolts to hold the new hinges, but this means tapping threads into the hatch and deck because there isn't room for nuts underneath. Out with drills and taps. All going well until I stupidly manage to break the only tap I have. A quick look around for a supplier, but the only easily available one is Screwfix and I'm pretty sure that all they will have are chocolate sets. They did have a better quality set but because I only needed and 8mm one I opted for the cheap set, hoping it would last the few holes I had to do. Forlorn hope! I got one hole out the tap before it was useless. A search around found a place that stocks engineering quality stuff and I believe will supply single items. This morning I set off to get there and found that the bus service was quite good to this location. Unfortunately, while they would normally carry this item, it wasn't in stock and in the time I needed it (then and there) the only thing they could offer was a set of carbon steel ones. I had to take those and despite the fact that they aren't good quality they did the job.
Next problem, we discovered that the pharmacy had made a mistake with my prescription so, back to them to try and rectify it. Turned out not to be their fault, but the surgery's. A phone call to them and they said they could sort it by this afternoon. By 4.00 o'clock nothing had turned up so the pharmacy rang them to chase it. The replacement turned up by fax, but once again they'd got it wrong! More phone calls and another one was sent. Wrong again! So I had to go up there personally and stand there while the receptionist  collared the doctor and finally got the right one. And these people will soon be running the NHS!!!
Anyway, we're now about ready to set off tomorrow, tonight we're going out with cousins for a meal and then a good night's sleep before the off.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry, but due to spam I've had to enable verification to prove you're not a machine.