Sunday, 14 October 2012

Sunday 14th October 2012
Luckily the forecasters were right and the weather stayed dry on Friday.
Saturday morning and the gates were still closed. I took a wander up to have a look at the river, it was a pussycat again so we hoped to see the gates open by about 10.00 o'clock.
Half ten and still no sign C&RT guys to open up so I gave them call to see if there were plans to get the way clear. I was told that they were on the way, so it was just a case of waiting.
About 11.15 the gates swung wide and we were on our way. As I already hinted, we had hoped to get a flyer today, but it wasn't to be, so I decided to go for it and run a lot faster than I normally would. Moving down stream we at least had the advantage of current, but it wasn't running very fast. At Knostrop flood gates the river goes off to the left and the rest of the trip as far as Lemonroyd Lock is on canal.
We made really good time with only 2 of the 6 locks in our favour and approached Castleford lock in just under 2 1/2 hours!. The hurry was because Cath was due back in Leeds to child sit our grandson, Daniel. Result!
I'm now alone in Lyra, pottering around doing some of jobs that winters were made for. First of all though was an engine and gearbox oil change. That done it was back to sanding and varnishing. While that drys I'll take a walk up to the boatyard and check out our arrival plans.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry, but due to spam I've had to enable verification to prove you're not a machine.