Thursday 25th October 2012
Nothing happened yesterday on the modifications. I did get down into the engine room and did a bit of tidying up and pumping out. The latter is necessitated by the engine bay drains which constantly block up allowing rainwater to cascade into the compartment. I finally got around to using the special oil soak up pads which I bought a long time ago. They seem to work very well, leaving behind the water which is easy to then pump/suck up away.
After that we got around to installing the winter double glazing. This seems to be a standard fix on canal boats these days. For those who are unfamiliar with it, canal boats in general have windows with metal surrounds which create gallons of water through condensation when it gets cold outside. Several DIY chains sell a shrink film which you stick to the wooden surround to make a simple double glazing. It works very well.
Maybe the boatyard will start work today. We're off into town for a bit of provisioning