After a long time fighting with Orange over an issue with my mobile broadband not working with Google Maps, the issue has at last been resolved.
This is the 4th or 5th time I have spent time (a long time) on the phone to their 'experts' trying all sorts of solutions, none of which worked and I was getting to the point of telling them where to put their dongle. Today I got someone who went away and researched to problem, came back 3 hours later with the answer. It turns out that the dongle uses a programme called "accelerator" which can be turned on or off, For most things it needs to be on, but for Google maps you must turn it off or maps is blocked. Heavens knows why, it just is.