Wednesday, 28 August 2013

Farewell to the Wey

Wednesday 28th August 2013
Time to say goodbye to this lovely river. We would have liked to give it more time, but on balance felt that it was time to move on.
Last evening a boat had come along and moored in front of us, and it looked as if they were preparing to move at about the same time this morning as we were. A quick conversation confirmed it and we paired up for the trip onto the Thames.
At about 8.30 we set off through Town Lock, heading for Thames Lock, which opens at 09.00.
We arrived about 10 minutes early, and found that the lock mooring was full. Luckily, with no wind and almost no current it was easy to hang around in mid stream waiting for our turn.
At about 09.10 the lock gates opened and we sat there waiting for the boats on the moorings to make a move. And we waited, and waited. After about 5 minutes we nodded each other and went for it. It seemed that the boats on the lock moorings didn't want to go anywhere!
Once out on the Thames we turned west, while our pair went east.
Straight into Shepperton Lock, where we had to part with more money, this time for a full two week Thames licence. There isn't any price break for two weeks, basically there are 1 day, 1 week, and 1 month licences, so we had to buy two 1 week licences.
Up here, on the non tidal Thames, life is easy. It's big and wide, the scenery is mostly of very expensive houses and lots of plastic fantastic boats.

 There are some interesting houseboats though.

 We passed through Chertsey Lock
 And Penton Hook Lock

We have finally moored for the night at Staines. There is a visitor mooring here, and Sainsury's isn't too far. We did a big restock of the larder. I also found a Halfords, and got some antifreeze to top up the heating system. I have to put about 1 ltr. in it every few months, but can find no evidence of a leak anywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry, but due to spam I've had to enable verification to prove you're not a machine.